How the voting works
The World's 50 Best Restaurants list is sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna and is owned, organised and compiled by William Reed Business Media. No employees of William Reed, S.Pellegrino or any other sponsors have any influence over the voting or results.
The World's 50 Best Restaurants voting and list are subject to independent adjudication by international consultancy Deloitte.
How the list is created:
- The list is created from the votes of The Diners Club® World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy, a group of over 950 chefs, restaurateurs, critics, food writers and highly regarded 'foodies' around the world
- The Academy comprises 27 separate regions around the world. Each region has its own panel of 36 members including a chairperson to head it up
- Members cast seven votes each for their best restaurant experiences of the previous 18 months
- Of the seven votes, at least three must be used to recognise restaurants outside of their region
- At least 10 panellists from each region change each year
- Restaurants cannot apply to be on the list
- Voting is strictly confidential before the awards' announcement
- Voters must have eaten in the restaurants they nominate within the previous 18 months (and must supply the date of their last visit)
- Voters are not permitted to vote for restaurants they own or have a financial interest in
- Voters must remain anonymous
- Votes must be cast for permanent restaurants rather than temporary restaurants, pop-ups or street stalls
What constitutes 'best' is left to the judgement of these 950-plus trusted and well-travelled gourmets. There are no criteria that a restaurant has to meet. Given that this list is based on personal experiences it can never be definitive, but we believe it is an honourable survey of current tastes and a credible indicator of the best places to eat around the globe.BACK TO THE LIST